Nitric oxide, also called nitrogen monoxide, is considered a free radical and an air pollutant. Nevertheless, it plays important roles throughout the body and is a compound that we naturally produce. Nitric oxide supplements generally contain ingredients to support the body’s production of nitric oxide. In this post, we’ll answer questions like what are the health benefits of nitric oxide, what are the side effects of taking nitric oxide, and what you should look for in a nitric oxide supplement.
what are The health benefits of nitric oxide?
- Lowers blood pressure: Nitric oxide is a vasodilator, meaning that it relaxes the blood vessels. This process lowers blood pressure and allows blood to flow more freely (1).
- Boosts physical performance: Because nitric oxide improves blood flow, it makes it easier for the muscles and cells to receive the oxygen and nutrients that they need. This has a positive effect of exercise performance (2).
- Helps manage erectile dysfunction: Nitric oxide supplements can benefit erectile function in two ways. Firstly, nitric oxide itself is necessary for widening the blood vessels to allow blood to flow the penis when aroused. Secondly, a link has been found between erectile dysfunction and low levels of l-arginine and l-citrulline, which are common ingredients in nitric oxide supplements (3).
- Aids diabetes management: There is a correlation between low levels of nitric oxide and insulin sensitivity (4). However, more research is required to declare any causation. One study found that insulin sensitivity and blood sugar seemed to improve with l-arginine supplementation (5). Since l-arginine and its precursors are often in nitric oxide supplements, they may be able to help.
- Assists wound healing: Wound healing is impaired when there is insufficient nitric oxide in the body, and therefore nitric oxide supplements may assist with healing wounds (6).
- Balances hormone levels: Nitric oxide is believed to be involved in the release of various hormones, such as insulin and the human growth hormone (7).
- Improves general well-being: Nitric Oxide functions as a neurotransmitter and plays a role in various body processes. In addition to the benefits discussed above, nitric oxide levels can also benefit the immune and inflammatory responses (8).
what are the side effects of nitric oxide supplements?
Nitric oxide supplements can trigger mild side effects such as gastrointestinal upset, including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and bloating. They may also cause headache, heartburn or even heart palpitations (9) . Even if side effects are rare and mild, it is always best to speak with a qualified medical advisor before taking any supplements. Each nitric oxide supplement is different and each individual is different; therefore nitric oxide supplements can cause different reactions for different people. This is one of the reasons that Research Verified offers a 365-day money-back guarantee on all purchases, including Research Verified Nitric Oxide.
what ingredients should you look for in a nitric oxide supplement?
The top ingredients in nitric oxide supplements are the amino acids citrulline and arginine. Both of these amino acids are precursors to nitric oxide, meaning that the body uses them in order to synthesize nitric oxide. Many nitric oxide supplements also contain beetroot extract because it not only increases nitric oxide production, but provides antioxidants and can improve athletic performance (10). While these are the basic three ingredients to looks for, most nitric oxide supplement have unique formulas with additional ingredients.
Research Verified’s formula of a nitric oxide supplement also includes pine bark extract, quercetin, fenugreek, Tribulus Terrestris, eurycoma longifola, and avena sativa extracts. These ingredients help to boost nitric oxide production, enhance exercise performance, and improve overall well-being. For example, pine bark helps to optimize nitric oxide levels and quercetin is an antioxidant that boosts energy levels. If you’re interested in learning more, click here to learn more about the formula of our nitric oxide supplement.